Building a home gym can be valuable for both physical and mental wellness. It helps you stay on top of your fitness game, and you can also dodge the expensive membership fees of a fitness club that you have to travel to. To build a home gym, the key lies in investing in the right gear. Here, we will look at the best equipment for a home gym available in the market. These pieces of equipment can help you turn your boring weightlifting circuit into full-fledged strength training:
- Treadmill: Whether automatic or not, treadmills are equally suitable for heavy-duty gyms as well as lighter home gym setups. They offer great cardio workouts that help burn fat and calories and are one of the most popular cardio equipment. Look for a machine that is equipped with a strong motor, a long and wide running strip, and an emergency stop button.
- Cross-country ski machine: This enables a simultaneous workout of the arms and legs and features a sliding motion that is not very hard on the knees. In some models, you can move one ski forward to make the other move back, whereas the skis move independently in other models. Certain skis also use ropes for a better grip.
- Elliptical trainers: This is one of the best pieces of equipment for a home gym and provides a circular up and down motion. It offers an impact-free workout without causing any pressure on the joints. Also, the grade and resistance levels can be adjusted either manually or automatically for an intense or light workout.
- Rowing machines: These machines are used for a simultaneous back, legs, and arms workout. If you’re not used to rowing, the motion may feel a little awkward in the beginning. When purchasing this equipment, it is advisable to opt for pulley models instead of pistons for an improved rowing experience.
- Stationary bicycle: This is one of the simplest and best pieces of equipment for a home gym, as it requires no prior training. Opt for a model with a relaxed and easily adjustable seat and toe fasteners. If the seat is very hard for you, you can buy one with a cushioned base.
- Ankle weights: Meant for strength training, ankle weights can be used to boost the effectiveness of exercises like side leg raise or hip extension. You must purchase well-cushioned or padded ankle cuffs with pockets on the sides to hold additional weight bars.
- Hand weights: Depending on your body strength, you can purchase hand weights from 2lbs to 20lbs. D-shaped weights and dumbbells with padded center bars are much easier to hold, and you can also spend on weight bands for the wrists for a more productive workout.
These are among the best pieces of equipment for a home gym. You can easily find them online or at your nearest gym equipment store.