Fleas and ticks can cause a ton of problems for your canine friend. Bugs can cause anemia, dermatitis, and in some cases, even tapeworm. In such cases, not only will your pet suffer, but infested dogs can also pose a risk to the owner. So, it becomes important to nip the problem in the bud and prevent any complications. You can use several products that protect dogs from fleas and ticks:
- Topical treatments: Topical treatments are the best products that protect dogs from fleas and ticks. These are available in an array of options depending on the size of the dog, and the right product can take care of ticks, chewing lice, mites, and fleas. These products offer protection for 30 days and help get rid of the larvae and eggs as well. The methoprene present in the formulation prevents the bugs from hatching, averting further problems.
- Flea collars: Dog collars are a common way to keep fleas and ticks at bay. Ther are easy to use and can be put around your dog’s neck to manage the problem easily. It provides eight-months of protection from ticks, fleas, and their nymphs and larvae. The collar is effective within 24 hours and works wonders at keeping fleas and ticks away. These collars are certainly among the best products that protect dogs from fleas and ticks.
- Flea and tick shampoos: There are several shampoo formulations to provide immediate relief to your dog. If you are planning to buy a shampoo to prevent or treat flea and tick infestations, organic shampoos are the best bet. These shampoos do not have sulfates and are paraben-free, so apart from providing instant relief, they leave your dog’s coat shiny and soft. However, you must remember that the shampoo must be combined with a preventive product to get rid of ticks or fleas.
- Oral treatments: Think you need something strong for your dog’s problem? You can consider using oral treatment methods, as they are fast-acting and quite effective. They kill over 90% of the adult fleas and ticks with the first dose, and the dosage can be continued (usually once a day) until the issue is resolved. The right product will depend on the age, size, and breed of your dog. If you are unsure, you can check with your veterinarian before administering any medicine.
- Natural sprays: Several natural products can also be used to protect dogs from fleas and ticks. Sprays that contain peppermint oil or clove extract work wonders when it comes to dealing with ticks and fleas. These have a wonderful scent that repels the blood-sucking parasites, and they are completely chemical-free too.
Before using any products that protect dogs from fleas and ticks, you should always talk to a vet. Remember that every pet dog is different and may need unique solutions.