These days, pet owners wish to take their pets along on their holidays. A growing number of hotels have started making special arrangements for pets, taking care of everything from the food they offer to the stay provided. You can opt to stay in a luxury five-star hotel or a bed and breakfast, depending on your budget. But while traveling with pets, you must abide by certain rules. Here’s hotel etiquette to follow when traveling with pets:
- Make a prior reservation: Before making your reservation at a hotel, you must check whether it allows pets. You must inform the hotel in advance that you will be traveling with your pet, and ensure that you pay any extra charges for the stay of the pet at the time of checking in.
- Never leave your pet alone: This is one of the most important points of hotel etiquette to follow when traveling with pets. Instead of leaving your pet unattended in a hotel room, you can request the hotel for an attendant to take care of your pet or leave it in daycare if you have to go out alone. Leaving your pet alone in a room is against the policy of many hotels. When left unattended, the pet may cause damage to the property or get anxious amid new surroundings. Pets also tend to get aggressive at times, which might disturb the other guests.
- Always keep your pet on a leash: Keeping your pet leashed is essential hotel etiquette to follow when traveling with pets. If you let your pet roam around in new surroundings, it might get lost or meet with an accident. Also, other guests might be afraid of animals, so it’s best to ensure the safety of your pet and of the other people in the hotel by using a leash.
- Pick up after your pet: You must carry poop bags to clear up after your pet, whether in the room or in any other area of the hotel. This is not only good etiquette but would also make you a very considerate guest. Also, it is part of your duty as a responsible pet owner.
- Think about flea and tick control: When you decide to make a reservation in a pet-friendly hotel, one thing is sure that there will be many pets around. So for your pet’s safety, you must ensure that you have flea protection for your pet during your stay at the hotel. You can pick from a range of natural flea and tick remedies or repellents to protect your pet from a flea or tick infestation.
These are some simple hotel etiquette to follow when traveling with your pet, to ensure that you have a great vacation with your furry friends.