Following a balanced and nutritious diet is beneficial for overall health, and healthy foods can also help manage the symptoms of several illnesses, including sexual conditions. Erectile dysfunction is a condition that occurs primarily due to decreased blood flow to the penis, and following a diet rich in important nutrients beneficial for the vascular system can alleviate the symptoms. Check out this list of common foods that can help with erectile dysfunction:
- Vegetables and leafy greens: Carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, and kale are some of the most common foods that can help with erectile dysfunction. Packed with antioxidants and important nutrients, these vegetables and leafy greens offer myriad health benefits. Studies have shown that antioxidants increase the production of nitric oxide in the body, which relaxes the blood vessels, improving blood flow to different body parts, including the penis.
- Fruits: Antioxidant-rich fruits like watermelon, raspberries, blueberries, grapes, and strawberries increase nitric oxide production and enhance blood flow. Watermelon is one of the most beneficial fruits for men with this condition. The amino acid citrulline helps dilate and relax the blood vessels for easy and improved blood flow.
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, and other nuts contain heart-healthy fats and other nutrients. They help keep the blood vessels healthy and improve elasticity for improved blood flow throughout the body. A study showed that men who consumed pistachios for about a month noticed a significant improvement in the symptoms of erectile dysfunction. Nuts are tasty, healthy, and easy on-the-go snack options.
- Whole grains: A diet rich in whole grains and low in refined carbs may help ease the symptoms of erectile dysfunction. They provide important nutrients and fiber to the body, promote heart health, and alleviate the risk of cancer. So, men should choose cereals, bread, crackers, and other foods made with whole grains.
- Chocolates: If one likes chocolates, here’s some good news. Chocolates contain flavonoids or antioxidants that increase nitric oxide in the blood and boost circulation. Studies have shown that flavonoids are good for cardiovascular health, but dark chocolate is the one that provides these benefits, as it contains less fat and sugar.
- Fish: One of the most common foods that can help with erectile dysfunction, fish provides omega-3 fatty acids to the body. These fatty acids support heart health and improve blood circulation, so including fish in the regular diet can help ease the symptoms among men with this sexual condition.
- Legumes: These plant-based foods help increase nitric oxide production in the body and boost blood circulation. Some healthy options are black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, soybeans, navy beans, chickpeas, and lentils, which can be included both in meals and snacks.
Apart from including these common foods that can help with erectile dysfunction in their daily diet, men should follow healthy lifestyle habits, reduce stress levels, and keep their weight in check. They can also consult a professional for help or opt for counseling if needed.