When experiencing the symptoms of flu and cold, it is essential to eat the correct foods. Following a balanced and nutritious diet will relieve the symptoms and help your body fight the illness. It will make your immune system stronger and enable it to fight the infection quickly. Listed below are a few natural foods for soothing cold and flu:
- Chamomile tea: Drinking chamomile tea is directly linked to the increase of antibacterial activity in your body, as it boosts immunity by improving sleep quality. A study showed that people who consumed chamomile tea had better sleep quality as compared to people who did not. You can drink chamomile tea hot or cold.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is one of the very effective natural foods for soothing cold and flu. It has a substance known as curcumin that has strong anti-inflammatory properties. It has been proven to increase immunity and improve antibody reactions. Combining turmeric with black pepper makes it even more potent in fighting the common cold and flu.
- Broth or soup: Soup and broths are considered to be one of the best natural foods for soothing cold and flu. The vapors from the soup open up the blocked nostrils and let the mucus out to ease congestion. It also aids in decreasing inflammation during the flu. Additionally, broth and soup contain salt that helps your body retain water, reducing the chances of dehydration and the risk of dry mouth. Broth or soup can be made more effective by adding garlic, turmeric, ginger, and black pepper.
- Garlic: Garlic has long been used to combat infections, fight flu, and cure wounds. It has been proven by research that it strengthens the immune system, so people who consume garlic experience fewer symptoms of flu and cold. Garlic also boosts the functioning of the immune cells, improving overall health. You can consume a few cloves of garlic with water early in the morning or use it to add flavor to your food.
- Raw honey: Honey has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that help your body fight flu and cold. You can consume it directly to soothe a sore throat, but you should add a pinch of black pepper to a spoonful of honey or drink chamomile tea with honey for the best results.
- Ginger: Ginger is among the potent natural foods for soothing cold and flu. Its anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties help ease nausea. For increased effectiveness, you should grate or slice ginger root and add it to juices, tea, smoothies, or broth.
These natural foods for soothing cold and flu are known to provide great results. They can quickly ease the symptoms as well as boost the body’s immune system to fight the infection.